La Mort de Marat



Here's another funny cartoon on the political death of Francois Hollande which I came across in the Independent.

Now this caught my eye because I know something about the painting from the book Power of Art by Simon Schama - which is one of the best books I have ever read. 

The original version La Mort de Marat (The Death of Marat) was painted by Jacques-Louis David and depicts the death of Jean-Paul Marat, a radical journalist who became one of the key figures in the French Revolution. 

Marat suffered from terrible eczema and so he spent long periods in his bath to soothe the awful itching, but he was assassinated by Charlotte Corday who stabbed him to death because she blamed Marat for the reign of terror which followed the revolution.

Madame Corday was tried and executed for Marat's murder - so if I were Francois Hollande, I wouldn't be taking too many long baths with the cuckolded First Lady, Valerie Trierweiler in the Elysee Palace.

Popular posts from this blog

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!